Cisco CCIE Security Certification
(Please note that this is an Expert Level certification as per the levels defined by Cisco for its certifications. It is the next level after the Professional Level of Certifications and the last level before the highest level which is the Cisco Certified Architect These are Entry, Associate, Professional, Expert, Specialist and Architect.)
What is this Cisco CCIE Security Certification all about?
Cisco Certifications are divided into several levels. From the Associate Level to Professional Level to Expert Level and finally the Architect Level. Thus, the Expert Level Certifications are a further advancement over the Professional Level Certifications.
Cisco CCIE stands for “Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert”. Apart from the Cisco Certified Architect Certification, this certification is the highest level in terms of technical networking knowledge. Cisco CCIE Certifications are tested in a different manner than other Cisco Certifications and include practical labs as part of the certification.
The Cisco CCIE Security Certification can be thought of as the next level after the Cisco CCSP Certification which covers Advanced Network Security Skills and comes after the Cisco CCNA Security Certification (an Associate Level Certification). It is basically for Expert Level Network Engineers with a focus on Network Security.
The following skills are covered by the Cisco CCIE Security Certification:
- expertise with specific security protocols and components, as well as IP and IP routing
What are the Pre-requisites of Cisco CCIE Security Certification?
According to Cisco, “No formal pre-requisites are required for the Cisco CCIE Certifications”.
However, we do also recommend that any person who sits for the exam in this certification come fully prepared for the exam. Allot yourself at the very least a few months to prepare for the exam. Additionally, we would recommend any individual who would like to get certified with this Certification to possess the Cisco CCNA Security Certification (which is an Associate Level certification that deals with Basic Network Security concepts and skills such as Routing and Switching) as well as the Cisco CCSP Certification (which is a Professional Level Certification which deals with Advanced Network Security Skills).
Who is the Cisco CCIE Security Certification for?
The Cisco CCIE Security Certification is for those Networking Professionals who would like to be ‘experts’ in Network Security and carry out tasks as mentioned in the skills section in the first paragraph.
This is particularly for all Networking Professionals with a career orientation towards Advanced Network Security (generally networks of a WAN nature)
Cisco Certification Exams in General
What Are the Exams Like?
The duration of most theoretical exams is one to two hours. Lab (practical) exams typically last eight hours.
Questions include multiple-choice single answer, multiple-choice multiple answer questions, drag and drop, fill in the blank and simulations.
Exams other than CCIE lab exams are delivered online
What Do They Cost?
Computer-based certification exam prices range from $80 to $325 US dollars or equivalent worldwide. The ICND1 and ICND2 exams are $125 USD, the CCNA exam is $250 USD and the professional level CCNP and CCDP Composite exam is $300 USD, and CCIE written exams are $350 USD. Payment is made directly to the authorized test delivery partner Pearson Vue.
CCIE lab exams are $1,400 USD. Payment is made online via credit card or wire transfer
How do I take the exams?
Exams are regularly administered worldwide by Pearson VUE http://www.vue.com/cisco which is Cisco’s examination delivery partner (just as Prometric is Microsoft’s partner). Pearson VUE routinely organizes exams on various dates
How do I prepare for the exams?
- Training through Institutions – The authorized source for Cisco IT training delivered exclusively by Certified Cisco Instructors. For a list of Cisco Learning Partners, use the Learning Partner Locator.
- Training through Books – A variety of Cisco Press titles may be available for this exam. These titles can be purchased through the Cisco Marketplace Bookstore, or directly from Cisco Press.
- Resources, Assistance and guidance through the online Cisco Learning Network
- Exam Cram Books – Exam Cram has a wide array of preparation tools for the popular CCNA, CCNP, and CCSP certifications, including simulation-based practice questions along with other late-stage study vehicles to get you ready for test time.
- Safari Bookshelf – The premier electronic reference library for programming and IT professionals with more than 1,200 titles.
- Cisco Networking Academy – http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/index.html
- Cisco Certification Study Groups – https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/groups
What certifications and exams come under Cisco CCIE Security Certification?
The Cisco CCIE Certification is different from other certification in that it is carried out in a different manner than most Cisco Certifications. It has a theoretical component and a practical component. It involves the following two steps:
Step One: CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam
A two-hour written qualification exam which covers networking concepts and equipment commands.
- Written Exam Information
- Schedule and Pay for Written Exam
CCIE™ Security Written350-018 CCIE Security Exam
|Associated Certifications:||CCIE Security|
|Duration:||120 minutes (90-110 questions)|
|Click Here to Register:||Pearson VUE|
|Exam Policies:||Read current policies and requirements|
|Exam Tutorial:||Review type of exam questions|
Step Two: CCIE Security Lab Exam
An eight-hour lab exam that tests your ability to get a secure network running in a timed test situation.
- Lab Exam Information
- Schedule and Pay for Lab Exam
CCIE Security Lab Exam Details
Lab Exam Refresh:
Effective April 20th,2009, important content changes were implemented in the CCIE Security Lab Exam. Version 2.0 has been retired, candidates should prepare using the v3.0 Lab Exam Blueprint, Lab Equipment and Software Versions.
Please review the Study/Learn tab for more information on how to study for the Lab Exam.
Lab Exam Topics
|CCIE Security Lab Exam Topics v3.0 (blueprint)|
Resources for the Exams
- Several Resources are available at the Cisco Learning Network –https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccie_security
- Cisco Certification Exams Tutorial
Link to Official Cisco CCIE Security Certification