Cisco CCIE Wireless Certification
(Please note that this is an Expert Level certification as per the levels defined by Cisco for its certifications. It is the next level after the Professional Level of Certifications and the last level before the highest level which is the Cisco Certified Architect These are Entry, Associate, Professional, Expert, Specialist and Architect.)
What is this Cisco CCIE Wireless Certification all about?
Cisco Certifications are divided into several levels. From the Associate Level to Professional Level to Expert Level and finally the Architect Level. Thus, the Expert Level Certifications are a further advancement over the Professional Level Certifications.
Cisco CCIE stands for “Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert”. Apart from the Cisco Certified Architect Certification, this certification is the highest level in terms of technical networking knowledge. Cisco CCIE Certifications are tested in a different manner than other Cisco Certifications and include practical labs as part of the certification.
The Cisco CCIE Wireless Certification can be thought of as the advanced level of the Cisco CCNP Wireless Certification (a Professional Level Certification covering Advanced Skills with regards to Wireless Networks) which was in itself a buildup of the Cisco CCNA Wireless Certification (an Associate Level Certification covering Basic Wireless Network Concepts). It is basically for Expert Level Network Engineers with a focus on Advanced Wireless Networking concepts and Wireless Local Area Networking (WLAN) technologies based on Cisco framework.
The following skills are covered by the Cisco CCIE Wireless Certification:
- broad theoretical knowledge of wireless networking and a solid understanding of wireless local area networking (WLAN) technologies from Cisco, the market leader in WLAN technology
What are the Pre-requisites of Cisco CCIE Wireless Certification?
According to Cisco, “No formal pre-requisites are required for the Cisco CCIE Certifications”.
However, we do also recommend that any person who sits for the exam in this certification come fully prepared for the exam. Allot yourself at the very least a few months to prepare for the exam. Additionally, we would recommend any individual who would like to get certified with this Certification to possess the Cisco CCNP Wireless Certification (a Professional Level Certification that covers Advanced Wireless Network Skills) and the Cisco CCNA Wireless Certification (an Associate Level Certification covering Basic Wireless Network Concepts).
Who is the Cisco CCIE Wireless Certification for?
The Cisco CCIE Wireless Certification is for those Networking Professionals who would like to be ‘experts’ in Wireless Networks and WLAN (Wireless Local Area Netwoks) at an Advanced Level and carry out tasks as mentioned in the skills section in the first paragraph.
This is particularly for all Networking Professionals with a career orientation towards Wireless Networks and WLANs.
Why should I get certified? What benefits are there?
In case you are a Networking Professional who has the Cisco CCNP Certification (a Professional Level Certification dealing with Advanced Wireless Network Skills) is essential for you to further your career. Networking Professionals require further specialization and advancement of their skills. This Certification will allow you to show that you are amongst the best that there is in your particular field. You will in essence be a ‘Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert’.
All in all, this certification is important for all the Networking Professionals who would like to be experts in Wireless Networks and have a career orientation in that direction.
The benefits will be that you will now have a broader selection of career paths that will be higher paying than your existing job. Additionally, you will have that edge that is required during job selections – since employers look for what makes you as a networking professional unique.
Cisco Certification Exams in General
What Are the Exams Like?
- The duration of most theoretical exams is one to two hours. Lab (practical) exams typically last eight hours.
- Questions include multiple-choice single answer, multiple-choice multiple answer questions, drag and drop, fill in the blank and simulations.
- Exams other than CCIE lab exams are delivered online
What Do They Cost?
- Computer-based certification exam prices range from $80 to $325 US dollars or equivalent worldwide. The ICND1 and ICND2 exams are $125 USD, the CCNA exam is $250 USD and the professional level CCNP and CCDP Composite exam is $300 USD, and CCIE written exams are $350 USD. Payment is made directly to the authorized test delivery partner Pearson Vue.
- CCIE lab exams are $1,400 USD. Payment is made online via credit card or wire transfer
How do I take the exams?
Exams are regularly administered worldwide by Pearson VUE http://www.vue.com/cisco which is Cisco’s examination delivery partner (just as Prometric is Microsoft’s partner). Pearson VUE routinely organizes exams on various dates
How do I prepare for the exams?
- Training through Institutions – The authorized source for Cisco IT training delivered exclusively by Certified Cisco Instructors. For a list of Cisco Learning Partners, use the Learning Partner Locator.
- Training through Books – A variety of Cisco Press titles may be available for this exam. These titles can be purchased through the Cisco Marketplace Bookstore, or directly from Cisco Press.
- Resources, Assistance and guidance through the online Cisco Learning Network
- Exam Cram Books – Exam Cram has a wide array of preparation tools for the popular CCNA, CCNP, and CCSP certifications, including simulation-based practice questions along with other late-stage study vehicles to get you ready for test time.
- Safari Bookshelf – The premier electronic reference library for programming and IT professionals with more than 1,200 titles.
- Cisco Networking Academy – http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/index.html
- Cisco Certification Study Groups – https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/groups
What certifications and exams come under Cisco CCIE Wireless Certification?
The Cisco CCIE Certification is different from other certification in that it is carried out in a different manner than most Cisco Certifications. It has a theoretical component and a practical component. It involves the following two steps:
Step One: CCIE Wireless Written Exam
A two-hour, written qualification exam covering concepts and equipment commands
CCIE™ Wireless Written350-050 CCIE Wireless Exam
|Associated Certifications:||CCIE Wireless|
|Exam becomes available:||February 2009 (available now)|
|Duration:||120 minutes (90-110 questions)|
|Click Here to Register:||Pearson VUE|
|Exam Policies:||Read current policies and requirements|
|Exam Tutorial:||Review type of exam questions|
Step Two: CCIE Wireless Lab Exam
An eight-hour lab exam confirms that you have the job skills and technical knowledge required of a wireless expert-level network professional.
CCIE Wireless Lab Exam Overview
Configuring a Network to Given Specifications
The CCIE lab exam is an eight-hour, hands-on exam which requires you to configure a series of networks to given specifications. The lab focuses on implementing Enterprise WLAN solutions, such as implementing the Autonomous infrastructure, Unified infrastructure, Unified Controllers and AP’s, Unified WCS and Location and implementing Voice over Wireless.
Candidates are expected to demonstrate expert level wireless skills as well as troubleshooting skills to diagnose and solve issues as part of the CCIE lab exam. More detail is found on the Wireless Lab Exam Blueprint and list of Lab Equipment and IOS Versions.
Lab Exam Topics
|CCIE Wireless Lab Exam Topics (blueprint)|
Resources for the Exams
- Several Resources are available at the Cisco Learning Network –https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccie_wireless
- Cisco Certification Exams Tutorial
Link to Official Cisco CCIE Wireless Certification