This CIW Certification validates skills possessed by a Web Professional in a specific IT Field that is related with Web Technologies. This includes Server Administration, Database Design, Security, Website Management, Web Development and several other fields.
All web professionals must pass two required CIW exams to become a CIW Professional. These exams are mentioned in the ‘exams’ section. The exams are as follows:
And any one of the following:
- CIW Site Designer
- CIW E-Commerce Designer
- CIW Internetworking Professional
- CIW Server Administrator
- CIW Security Professional
- CIW Application Developer
- CIW Database Design Specialist
- CIW Enterprise Specialist
The following skills are covered by this CIW Certification:
- Internet Fundamentals
- Skills from among one field
What are the Pre-requisites of this CIW Certification?
According to CIW there are no pre-requisites other than the CIW Associate Certification and its foundation exams. However we do also recommend full preparation for the exam and familiarity with the aforementioned technologies. Additionally, candidates should have working knowledge of all the required skills.
Who is this CIW Certification for?
This Certification is for all those individuals who would like to pursue the following careers:
- database developer and administrator
- Internet application developer
- middleware programmer
- Java developer
- client/server developers
CIW Certification Exams in General
What Do They Cost?
Each CIW Certification is composed of one or more exams. The fees for each of the exams is listed below:
|CIW Exam Title||
CIW Exam ID
|CIW v5 Foundations||1D0-510||
|CIW v5 Foundations – Site Development Module||1D0-51B||
|CIW v5 Site Designer||1D0-520||
|CIW v5 E-Commerce Designer||1D0-525||
|CIW Application Developer||1D0-430||
|CIW Perl Fundamentals||1D0-437||
|CIW Database Design Specialist||1D0-541||
|CIW Enterprise Specialist||1D0-442||
|CIW Server Administrator||1D0-450||
|CIW Internetworking Professional||1D0-460||
|CIW Security Professional||1D0-470||
How do I take the exams?
Exams are carried out by both Pearson VUE and Prometric in a number of Test Centers around the world.
Follow the links below for the websites of Pearson VUE and Prometric:
- Pearson VUE:
How do I prepare for the exams?
There are various methods of preparing for the CIW Certification. Self study options using the resources provided by CIW and ComputerPrep are available and so is training through CIW Authorized Training Partners (ATP) and Authoriized Academic Partners (AAP).
- CIW Learning Resources – CIW offers a variety of learning methods that suit help you prepare for your exam. These are:
- Official CIW Self-Study Exam Preparation Kits
- Official CIW e-Learning and Online Test Preparation http://www.ciwcertified.com/training/default.asp
- Exam Guides and Curriculums – For each CIW exam, there is an Exam Guide present as well as a Curriculum that guides you with your studies. The links are available in the Resources section
- Practice Exam – When you think you’re ready to take the exam you can find out by using the CIW Certification Practice Exams.
- Self Study Books – CompuPrep offers several self study books that are very useful when preparing for CIW Exams
What certifications and exams come under the CIW Professional Certification?
|Required CIW Professional Exams||CIW Exam Topics||CIW Certificate Award|
|CIW v5 Foundations||CIW Exam 1D0-510||CIW Associate|
AND PASS ANY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING EXAMS:
|CIW Site Designer (retired June 30, 2006)
or CIW v5 Site Designer (released November 30, 2005)
|CIW Exam 1D0-420
or CIW Exam 1D0-520
|CIW E-Commerce Designer (retired June 30, 2006)
or CIW v5 E-Commerce Designer (released April 30th, 2006)
|CIW Exam 1D0-425
or CIW Exam 1D0-525
|CIW Server Administrator||CIW Exam 1D0-450||CIW Professional**|
|CIW Internetworking Professional||CIW Exam 1D0-460||CIW Professional**|
|CIW Security Professional||CIW Exam 1D0-470||CIW Professional**|
|CIW Application Developer||CIW Exam 1D0-430||CIW Professional**|
|CIW Database Design Specialist||CIW Exam 1D0-441 (retired) orCIW Exam 1D0-541||CIW Professional**|
|CIW Enterprise Specialist||CIW Exam 1D0-442||CIW Professional**|
** All CIW Professional certifications require the CIW Associate certification as a prerequisite.
Resources for the Exams
1. Practice Exams
2. Exam Guides by Certificate
3. Exam Policies
4. Training Options
5. Training Resources
Recommended Resources for this CIW Certification
Official CIW educational programs and materials are available for CIW exam candidates.
- CIW Authorized Academic Partners (CIW AAPs) or CIW Authorized Training Partners (CIW ATPs)
- Official CIW assessment and exam prep
Official CIW Curriculums:
- Internet Business Foundations (PDF)
- Site Development Foundations (PDF)
- Network Technology Foundations (PDF)
- Design Methodology and Technology (PDF)
- E-Commerce Strategies and Practices (PDF)
- Internet System Management (PDF)
- Advanced Internet System Management (PDF)
- TCP/IP Internetworking (PDF)
- Advanced TCP/IP Concepts and Practices (PDF)
- Network Security and Firewalls (PDF)
- Operating Systems Security (PDF)
- Security Auditing, Attacks and Threat Analysis (PDF)
- Fundamentals of CGI Programming using Perl (PDF)
- Dynamic Server Pages (PDF)
- Database Design Methodology (PDF)
- Distributed Object Computing Using Java and CORBA (PDF)
- Enterprise JavaBeans (PDF)
Official CIW Exam Guides
- CIW Site Designer Exam Guide.
- CIW E-Commerce Exam Guide.
- CIW Server Administrator Exam Guide.
- CIW Internetworking Professional Exam Guide.
- CIW Security Professional Exam Guide.
- CIW Application Developer Exam Guide.
- CIW Database Specialist Exam Guide.
- CIW Enterprise Specialist Exam Guide.
CIW Certification Renewal Policy
CIW has no such policy as opposed to several other Certification Providers. However, CIW routinely retires several exams and replaces them. For updated information visit the CIW Website.
Link to Official CIW Certification Website