Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) Certification
(Please note that this certification is part of a series launched by Microsoft primarily for IT Professionals who are also Trainers in that they teach other professionals tvarious courses that lead towards certifications. Microsoft classifies these certifications in the “Trainers” class. )
What is this Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) Certification all about?
This certification has been developed for those IT Professionals who teach other professionals various Microsoft courses or would like to teach such courses. It endows an IT Professional, who is referred to as a Trainer, with specific skills that allow him/her to teach Courses much more effectively and with a certified ‘badge’ of sorts that in turn attracts more students. Indeed, Microsoft Certified Trainers are the only individuals who are authorized to deliver training for Microsoft Certifications.
Additionally, please keep in mind the following quote from the Microsoft website, “MCT certification requires an annual renewal. Each April, MCTs must complete an online application, pay an annual fee, and meet a number of program requirements to renew their certification for the coming year.”
Microsoft Certified Learning Consultant (MCLC)
The Microsoft Certified Learning Consultant (MCLC) certification is also part of certifications for trainers. However, this focuses on individuals who also act as consultants in addition to being trainers as part of there work. This certification tests several key areas as follows:
What are the Pre-requisites of Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) Certification?
As Microsoft puts it quite clearly, “More than one year of experience, and one of the required MCP certifications or Microsoft Dynamics certifications.”
Additionally, this certification is awarded in various steps and also requires several previous certifications particularly in areas in which an individual teaches or would like to teach.
Several certifications may also be required based on which of the above Microsoft products certification is being pursued.
Additionally several pre-requisites are required for each of the certifications as mentioned in the table at the end of this article. It is therefore also essential that you check the exams carefully for any pre-requisites.
Who is the Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) Certification for?
Why should I get certified? What benefits are there?
MCT welcome kit
- MCT certificate
- MCT wallet card
- Microsoft Learning virtual hard disk DVDs
- MCT guide for Microsoft Dynamics
- Metrics that Matter guide
Ongoing benefits and support
- TechNet Plus Direct subscription
- MCT readiness support
- OneNote trainer preparation packs
- MCT Download Center
- Microsoft Learning Courseware Library
- MCT newsgroups
- Courseware support
- Metrics that Matter
- Up to 65 percent off Microsoft Certification and Microsoft Dynamics exams
- MCT rewards.
- Camtasia Studio and Snagit tools
- Early invitations to Microsoft Certification beta exams
- Free access to Microsoft E-Learning in the Learning Catalog:
- Microsoft Press Complete E-Reference Library discount
- Microsoft Press book discount
- E-Reference Library student discount
- Special price on Visual Studio Professional with an MSDN Premium subscription
- MCT Special Offers page
- Exclusive invitations to and discounts on Microsoft events
- Invitations to join beta programs for Microsoft software
How do I take the exams?
There are exams in this certification – these will be according to what Microsoft Certification you teach.
How do I prepare for the exams?
Exams can be prepared for in a number of different ways. The possible ways of preparing for the exams are as follows (although if you have working knowledge of Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007 then going through Practice Tests will be enough)
There are several options in terms of preparing yourself. Please note that some such as the books and practice tests can be used together whereas the practice tests cannot be used alone to prepare yourself. These are:
- Practice tests: Provided by several websites, which are Microsoft Certified Practice Test Providers, these allow you to get a feel of your current levele and in the case where you are pursuing independent study, these tests will prove useful. These cannot be used alone as preparation methods.
- Instructor-led training in centres worldwide: various centers worldwide have Microsoft Certified Trainers who provide a superior learning experience by using in-depth knowledge that they possess as well as by using Microsoft Learning Products. However, please check that your trainer or training centre is certified by Microsoft or not before starting preparation. This is the recommended method.
- E-Learning Self-paced training: another option provided by Microsoft; this allows those who use Microsoft technologies in the workplace and want to enhance their skills,. “Microsoft E-Learning self-paced training offers you the flexibility to learn at a time and place that is convenient for you” – ideal for those whose schedule cannot allow fixed classes. However please note that this is for those who have the ability to grasp concepts easily and have experience in independent study, in for example, university during the time when they were preparing for their degree.
- Microsoft Official Distance Learning: Distance learning is a sort of system whereby the classroom is ‘virtualized’ – in essence you learn exactly as though you were in a classroom. This is also a recommended method since it is conducted by Microsoft Professionals and is also cost effective. Additionally, it can also fit into your busy schedule easily. It is also a combination, sort of, of the E-Learning Self Paced Training and Instructor led training – the best combination by far.
- Microsoft Press books: Microsoft has published various books on nearly all of its certifications. Using these hand in hand with several other options and as a reference is suitable. Studying through these alone is not recommended – although it depends on the person.
- Self-paced training kits: these are complete, DIY type, kits that combine a number of items that allow you to study independently. These have been developed by Microsoft specialists and are also a suitable mode of learning. These kits include the following items (as per Microsoft’s website):
- A 15 percent exam discount voucher from Microsoft
- Official, self-paced study guide, including a fully searchable e-book version
- Practice tests with multiple, customizable testing options and a learning roadmap based on your results
- More than 200 practice and review questions
- Case scenarios, practice exercises, and best practices
- A 180-day evaluation version of the product that is covered by the kit
- Microsoft online resources: Microsoft has included various resources on its own website that provide you with information, allow you to create your own study guides, interact with professionals and students alike and much more
How am I certified?
- Acquire a valid Microsoft Certification (relevant to what you want to teach)
- Participate in a two-day, hands-on trainer skills course
- Demonstrate instructional presentation skills
What certifications and exams come under Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) Certification?
Here is a complete list of the various certifications. A candidate will have to choose the certification based on career paths, product type and previous knowledge.
- Meet MCT competency requirements for each course they deliver.
- Acquire a valid Microsoft Certification
- Demonstrate instructional presentation skills
- Administer course evaluations to every student and maintain high customer-satisfaction scores.
- New MCTs must deliver at least one Microsoft course within their first year as an MCT.
Microsoft Certified Professional certifications
An individual has to acquire one certification from any of these certifications depending on what he/she wants to teach.
|Microsoft Visual Studio|
|Microsoft SQL Server|
|Microsoft Office Project|
|Microsoft Office Project Server|
|Microsoft Office SharePoint Server|
|Microsoft BizTalk Server|
|Microsoft System Center|
|Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server|
|Microsoft Office Communications Server|
|Microsoft Official Trainer (MOT)
Note For Japan-based trainers only
Microsoft Dynamics certifications
|Microsoft Dynamics CRM|
|Microsoft Dynamics AX|
|Microsoft Dynamics GP|
|Microsoft Dynamics NAV|
|Microsoft Dynamics SL|
|Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System MCT Designation||
Link to Official Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT) Certification Website