It is not long ago when buyers started showing reservations regarding the batteries of their newly bought hoverboards, i.e., self balancing scooters. Initially, it seemed hard to believe that any such issue existed at all. However, the matter only grew worse with time as more and more complaints met the ears. A lot of newly invented hoverboards were found to be creating problems in smooth running just because of their batteries eventually leading to the fire controversy in China.
With the advent of 2017, the Consumer Product Safety Commission of United States (CPSC) felt the need to intervene and made an announcement regarding the official recall of all the hoverboards which means that the 500 thousand hoverboards that were sold across the globe are shipped back so that they could be fixed and sent back to the consumers.
The recalled addresses 15 models of 8 manufacturers of hoverboards. It is also pertinent to mention that the property damage caused by the hoverboards has crossed the 2 million dollar mark.
Despite the controversy, there is no decrease in the demand for these scooters rather their popularity is increasing with time.
How to buy a hoverboard?
With this issue, the admirers of hoverboards have started feeling hesitation on laying their hands on one. They do not even know how to make a distinction between the available models and how to decide if what they have selected is a safe purchase.
The latest models of hoverboards that are glistening the market are fortunately labelled “safe” and claim to cause issues whatsoever. It is a daunting task for a person who is looking for hoverboards to come across a model that caters his or her needs. The truth of the matter is that there are plenty of choices available with little or no insight into how the machine that was a nuisance lately would turn out to be. To make it easier for you to pick a desired model from the famous and popular availabilities, we have compiled a guide of the best available options in the market. The electric hoverboards that we have selected cover a vast range of reliable companies and their reliable models to address your concerns and to satisfy your needs.
The difficulties that consumers feel in picking up the right model is not only because of the variety available in the market but also because of the controversy attached with the malfunctioning hoverboards. However, we assure you that the available models are all certified and hacky. They are of the best quality and ensures customer satisfaction in every possible way. Moreover, if you still have concerns, do not forget to check the UL 2272 certification before getting one.
The UL2271 certification stands for the resolution of the battery issue. The certification was issued to separate those models who happened to ignite a fire in China, ensuring that what you are getting is free from the hazard of fire. It is authorized that there would be no battery issues whatsoever. A series of tests is carried out to see if the model sent into the market is fit for personal use.
So without a further a due, let’s move on to our list of best hoverboard to buy in 2017
Best Self Balancing Scooters & Hoverboards 2017
|Brand/Model||Max Speed||Battery life||Bluetooth||Prices|
1. SWAGTRON T1
|12 + mph||3 hrs||No|
|10 mph||3 hrs||Yes|
|10 mph (inclined)||1 hr ( inclined up to 18 degree)||Yes|
4. SWAGTRON T5
|7 mph||3 hrs||Yes|
|8+ mph||2 hrs||No|
|10 + mph||4 hrs||Yes|
|10 mph||2.5 hrs||Yes|
8. HOVERZON S
|11 mph||4 hrs||No|
|10 mph||3 hrs||Yes|
1. SWAGTRON T1 – UL 2272 Certified Electric Self-Balancing Scooter
Swagtron, being the leading hoverboard manufacturing brand, ensures the best of the best models. They not only give you the best but also enable you to pick what suits your taste from a variety of their best models. The first self-balancing scooter of the day is labeled Swagtron. Interestingly, Swagtron T1, the best available hoverboard, is a high-end product because of its unparalleled features and state of the art design. Besides, it is UL 2272 certified. The UL 2272 certification is achieved after a model successfully completes a number of tests to make the user experience trouble free.
Here are the peculiar features of the Swagtron T1:
- It comes with UL 2272 certification that is an evidence of safety and satisfaction.
- It gives you a speed of 8+ miles per hour (mph) which can go as much as to 12+ miles per hour.
- The dual electric scooter motor that accompanies it is of 300 Watts.
- The lithium-ion rechargeable battery, when completely charged, lasts for more than two hours, usually up to three hours.
- SentryShield technology is used in Swagtron T1 along with a smart battery management system to not only protect but also to monitor and regulate the battery.
- Its lightweight body is adorned with lights that are LED, a bumper that is made of rubber and indicators for battery.
This self-supporting scooter is comfortable enough to make your experience of hovering a cherishing one. And we are not just saying it; we have experienced it certainly.
It is also possible to pocket in a relatively modern, more updated model of the same, i.e., Swagtron T3. You can definitely spend more if you are bent on getting a handle (instead of a foot pivot steering), Bluetooth speakers and some other visuals to make your experience more spectacular.
On our chart, Swagtron T1 continues to gleam as the best available option for the best value of your hard earned money because we know you value nothing more than a smooth secure ride in a lightweight scooter that is not hard on your pocket.
2. Segway miniPRO – Smart Self Balancing Personal Transporter
Though there are many who demand an economical gadget, there are many who want to get away with all that they have to lay hands on something that is out of this world. Its not just a hoverboard; it is more like a self-governing animal capable of self-assertion better than any of its rivals.
Segway is also a well-known brand that has some good models and a lot of customer satisfaction to its name. Segway miniPRO is a PRO in body and spirit, and it is way too different than the models Swagtron has to offer.
miniPRO is for advanced users of self-supporting scooters. They come in two colors, i.e., black and white, both are accentuated with red. Besides other features, it also has a handle that addresses the concerns of many.
Here are some of the auspicious specifications of Segway miniPRO:
- It is UL 2272 certified that makes it, just like Swagtron T1, a fire-free vehicle that you could buy without fearing any fire mishaps or any other issue. It is rated safe.
- It comes with a free mobile app that enables you to connect your phone with the hoverboard via a Bluetooth connection that in turn empowers you to remote control the gadget, to set an alarm to send away thieves, to customize the lights as you please, to diagnose it for troubleshooting and to update the firmware.
- Its exoskeleton, which is made of the durable magnesium alloy of air craft grade, is made to stand weight up to 220 lbs. its tires are filled with pneumatic air up to 10.5 inches which are shock absorbent. It means your body, no matter how heavy you are, needs not to worry as you are safe in this cradle, and if something might go wrong, its military grade shock absorption technology would keep you safe.
- Its dual electric motor engine is of 1600 Watts that enables it to cover a distance of 14 miles at the speed of 10 miles per hour (mph) if you have charged the battery to the full.
- Along with the steering to better control the vehicle, you are given a knee bar whose pads will help you in feeling comfortable during the ride.
The only set back of this PRO is its price which would not be an issue for those who intend to get the best from the market. And, honestly, keeping in mind its state of the art features and fool proof safety, miniPRO is worth every penny you got.
3. EPIKGO Self Balancing Scooter Off Road
( All-Terrain 8.5” Alloy Wheel, 400W Dual-Motor )
The self-balancing EPIKGO scooter is ready to take the world by storm not only by the technology involved but also by the design it has got. Bring up to 30 % bigger than its rivals, it promises style with luxury. Being UL 2272 certified, just like other scooters on our list, it claims complete safety for the user. The 100 percent certification was made possible by acute monitoring and testing of EPIKGO hardware and software so that those who are already alarmed by the fiery incident could be pacified. Being able to cruise safely at any terrain, when fully charged, it takes up speed up to 10 miles per hour (mph) for a distance of 10 miles, making the hovering more quick and more stylish.
Here are some of its heart rendering features:
- It is not only twice more powerful than its rival but also 30 percent larger than the boards presented by other manufacturers. More foot space means more control and more stable sail. The cherry on the top is its charging technology that fills the stomach of this beast in just 2 hours, making it one of its kind.
- Its 400 dual electric motor is of 400 watts, enabling it to climb steep slopes (steep up to 18 degrees).
- Its ability to run over any terrain credits the solid rubber tires. For its solidity and water resistance, the vehicle rated IP56 is equally smooth on grass, mud and even sand.
- Since it has qualified all 159 tests, it is absolutely safe. The UL 2271 certified scooter has the UL 2271 certified LG battery which is a satisfactory combo. It also comes with a 1-year limited warranty on cover parts and labor.
What do you desire more than a quick ride on a stylish board that is longer and swifter? A very good addition to the list of best hoverboards of 2017, EPIKGO is determined to stay on the charts for a very long time.
4. Swagtron T5 – UL 2272 Certified Hoverboard
Swagtron has a repute to defend in the market which it does well by sending in new models with better features. If you are naïve and need something basic, go for Swagtron T5 which is not for a PRO. It is entry level without any fancy features or even extensive dimensions. A personal transporter that is simple and easy is all you need.
The gyroscopic technology employed in T5 is the same used in strong nerved T1 and hard headed T3; the technology is obviously there to change the way you cruise. It is your balance, i.e., dynamic equilibrium that controls the hoverboard. So you can relax and hold your feet while it judges your motions and stays in control. Being environment-friendly, Swagtron T5 expels no emissions. It is solid and safe enough to take you out for the first time.
Here are some of its features to allure you:
- It supports 187 lbs weight and takes a speed of 7 mph for a distance of 7 miles.
- The two-wheel self-balancing scooter has passed all the safety tests and comes with a UL 2272 certificate.
- Its electric motor is 200 watts along with better control on steep and gear stabilization.
- SentryShield smart battery gives a multi-layered protected skate board.
- It is adorned with battery indicators and an exclusive learning mode.
Not all hoverboards support first time users. T5 is the answer to your entry level needs and provides all that you need for physical and mental comfort.
5. Razor Hovertax 2.0 – Hoverboard Self-Balancing Smart Scooter
We have made a careful selection and claim that every model included in this list is a carefully chosen. However, the next hoverboard in the list is interesting by the virtue of the claims its manufacturer has made regarding it. It has been said that the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 is the smartest hoverboard in the world. Wow! Sounds big. The claim makes everyone wonder what makes the self-balancing scooter special enough to top not the list of the best hoverboards of 2017 but of all the world.
Fortunately, you are not the only one who is wondering. We are here to run the investigation for you and also for our own clarity on the issue. Let us go through the specifications of the board to see what makes it a marvel or if it is a marvel at all.
Here are some of the features of the Razor Hovertrax 2.0:
- It is UL 2272 certified that makes it safe. The series of tests that it has passed show that the scooter would not catch fire or its battery would not be short-circuited.
- Its 350 watts dual electric battery is not only efficient but also silent, enabling it to hover with a speed of 8+ miles per hour.
- When the Hovertox 2.0 is fully charged, it could run for an hour which certainly does not make it the best in the world.
- It comes with 36 Volts LG batteries that can be changed as per requirement. It means that if your hoverboard has run off batteries, you can come down and change the batteries to continue the cruise.
- Razor EverBalance technology makes the scooter level itself. The user can take his time and stand on it till he is ready to start the ride.
- The LED display bar, LED battery indicators, fender bumps, and two riding modes certainly upgrade the machine. The two modes, i.e., beginner and advanced, are the best thing it has, allowing the naïve user to learn the basics and then when he is ready move to the advanced level (instead of buying a new upgraded model for his changed demand).
Standing side by side with the other expensive scooters, Razor Hovertrax 2.0 is not the best the world has seen so far, but it is definitely packed with a lot of features that are missing in the scooters that came at the same price. It is taking the market by the storm, and you can look forward to it as the best value for your money.
6. Powerboard by Hoverboard – UL 2272 Certified Scooter
It is the most expensive self-balancing scooter available in the market. You can question, just like everyone else, if the vehicle deserves to be so hefty. It should not have been on the list if it were not.
This beast is built to perfection and weighs 30 lbs which is certainly heavier than some of the models glaring in the market. However, it is stronger than many and supports up to 220 lbs rider weight. You get a bag with the scooter that makes you carry it comfortably on your shoulder. It has a very powerful battery which is fully charged in less than 60 minutes. Interestingly, once charged, its battery lasts for 6 hours which makes it the best personal transporter that you can lay your hands on. And, it can run as fast as 8 miles per hour.
Here are some of the features of the Powerboard by Hoverboard for your convenience:
- Since it is UL 2272 certified, it would not over heat, catch fire or short circuit.
- The manufacturer sitting in the USA ensures fastest delivery: here you place an order, here it knocks at your door.
- With its smooth acceleration, it can manage to pick up the speed of 10 mph and still manage to take turns at corners with ease.
- The one-year limited warranty covers the US-based users.
A good edition to your toys, Powerboard by Hoverboard is what you need to stay care free with issues like recharging your scooter or hiding it when not in use.
7. Halo Rover Hoverboard – UL Certified Scooter with Bluetooth Speakers
UL 2272 certified vehicle makes you carefree as it would not catch fire or emit smoke. With Halo Bluetooth speakers, a mobile app and 8.5 inch non-flat tires, this beast is going to address your need like no other. The tires are that one key element that makes it easier for it to ride any terrain while making it safer for you to ride to any place you like. Its UL 2272 certification makes you carefree regarding fire and other safety issues.
So far the user responses about this vehicle have been very positive. With the mobile app to control the gadget, there is less to complain of. Its 12 months long warranty makes it a reliable purchase.
Here are some of the features that you should know if you intend to buy it:
- Each Halo has successfully passed those 159 tests without which it cannot come out in the market; hence, UL 2272 certified.
- The exclusive Halo technology is there to make your ride smooth and swift.
- Halo Rover App enables you to customize the scooter as per you riding style and requirement while the Bluetooth speakers makes the ride a blast with the burst of melodies.
- The hoverboard is made for all types of terrain which means you can go anywhere from mud to sand to snow without wearing over the safety and stability concerns.
- It comes with three modes, i.e., learning, normal and advanced. Pick one that addresses your level and enjoy.
Certainly, a very satisfactory and durable vehicle that promises to stay with you for a very long time.
8. Hoverzon S – Self Balancing Hoverboard Reviews
Going down the list, we are finally reaching the end of our lists. Except for LED lights and Bluetooth, there is not much left to add into your scooter as all available models are equipped with the best options.
If you want all the possible features that could be fit into one self-balancing scooter, you can go for Segway miniPRO which is twice as expensive as its competitors. If you need to do serious business, go fro the Hoverzon S which is packed with all the right specifications that you need, nothing more or less. It is the right thing for the right person. Not overly expensive because of the features that an average user might not need or care to use frequently. Besides, the manufacturer claims that there is one feature on the board that would make it the most desirable of all. Let us see if you find it tempting at all.
Here are some of the specifications that you mist run through:
- With an exclusive “Aegis Armor” that is a multi-layer protection for the battery, Hoverzon S is the chosen one that is protected from certain battery bumps that you must be protected against.
- It comes with a top tier motor and gear stabilization, enabling it to provide a stable ride and responsive controls.
- The model comes with a UL 2272 certificate to render you battery and safety concerns.
- The body of the scooter is fire-proof and comes with sensor pedals, making it easier to drive.
- The innovation in battery management upgrades the performance of the battery. With its 2 different modes of riding, the Hoverzone S is suitable for beginners and advanced users.
The personal scooter is not very different from other models present in the market, except the Aegis Armor and battery management that make it a sought after vehicle. It comes in 6 colors, and there is no price difference in different colors. You can pick whatever shade you like. A good, reasonable choice to make.
9. SwagTron T3 – 2272 Certified Electric Self Balancing Scooter
Swagtron T1 tops our list of “self-supporting scooter” while its upgraded version Swagtron T3 encloses our list. It is certainly better than its predecessor. There is not much change in terms of design; however, better features have been added to the vehicle to make it up to the mark. The Bluetooth speakers to synchronize with your phone, LED lights to glare the terrains and a handle for better control are all that you need to have a heavenly experience.
Here are some of the Swagtron T3 features to see how far it has outwitted Swagtron T1:
- It would not combust into flames as it has a UL 2272 certification. You can buy it without wondering if your scooter is capable of damaging property or exhausting its own self.
- For a distance of 7 to 12 miles, it takes a speed up to 8+ miles per hour.
- The dual electric motor is of 300 watts that is compatible with what is fixed in one of the high-end models available in the market.
- It takes 2 to 3 hours in getting charged.
- Rubber bumpers, LED lights, battery indicators and Bluetooth speakers are all you can dream of in a self-supporting scooter.
- SentryShield technology intelligently manages the battery and keeps the operating of battery hazard free.
It is not the fastest or the smartest on the chart, but Swagtron T3 is pretty reasonable to make you happy. You can go for Swagtron T1 if you need something cheaper than it while this upgraded version is all the good for your money.
Hoverboards or Personal Transporters: Buyer Guide
One of the most attention catching technology at the moment is self-balancing scooters or personal transporters that are commonly called hoverboards.
A board with two wheels attached with it gives the space to feet for standing and balancing the body. The board is divided into two portions from the center, making it easier for the rider to stand. Each wheel at the end is made of rubber, transports the rider to a number of terrains.
It comes with rechargeable batteries. The distance that the hoverboard covers depend on the weight it is carrying; with more weight, it covers less distance. The wondrous part is the technology that takes the self-balancing scooter in whatever direction its rider want. The platform on which the user stands, both of its portions come with gyroscopic sensor pads that synchronize the machine with the balance of the user.
The axis of rotation freely floats on a disk or spinning wheel in any direction it wants. Even when the whole apparatus is moving, the axis of rotation remains in the same position.
Since their debut in China in 2014, the hoverboards took the world by storm. By 2015, they were to be seen everywhere; even the developing countries are no exception. And they are becoming even more popular with time. The hype was added into by the celebrities who honored the vehicle and were frequently seen driven around on their personal transporters. With the blink of an eye, they spread all across the world.
You should remember that there is no one name of hoverboards. Different companies use different names for the vehicle. However, at the bottom, they are all the same with different features making one a better option than the other or making one more economical than the other.
Except for the fire controversy that affected the reputation of these scooters, nothing wrong happened. And that issue was brilliantly resolved by recalling the suspicious hoverboards and fixing them for consumer protection.