What is 64 Bit processors
From last many years there have been many innovations and development in the computer technology. A microprocessor with the words of 64 bits size called 64-bit processor. These processors are more efficient and faster than the past 32 bit processors. For nearly last 9 years 32 bit processors are being used in which the computer could process up to 4.3 billion numbers in a time but with 64 bit processors data is staggering , it is whooping 18.4 quintillion numbers. In single core processors a single core is fastened inside the chip of the processor, and in this kind only one instruction works at time; while in dual core processors one processor chip can run two processors. Thus the power of the computer increases to gain maximum speed and performance. It uses registers which are 64-bit wide while addressing 16 terabytes rather than 4GB. And the amount of data being processed becomes double in the same time.
But still there is a restriction the performance only becomes better in a case of; if the main memory of the computer is more than 4 GB. It runs the program like light wave 3D and Photoshop etc even faster and enhances efficiency. It opens the 32-bit files in 64-bit chunks so space is not wasted.
Features of 64 bit Processors:
- 16 terabytes of data ; which is more than 16 billion GB address can b processed.
- It is very beneficial for the creative programmers because of high quality graphical effects as compared to other.
- It increases the efficiency of 3D animation to play games, stream videos without stopping.
- The server having 32-bit processor can only bear 32 CPUs while in 64-bit processor can work with 64 CPUs.
- In 64-bit processor only correct values is stored in registers while other addresses are aligned on stack.
- It can store more memory and performs faster than other processors.
- Its cost is less than other processors but the quality / performance is better than others.
- The enjoinment and texture are better and, it render better sound quality.
- It supports more memory in a system for playing heavy games.
- It efficiently works on multiple servers graphics with intensive memory.
- A 64-bit processor can support 8 to 16 GB or more of RAM.
- Programs like CAD, VMs and video encoders / decoders work better on 64-bit processors.
Limitations of 64 Bit Processors:
Where 64-bit processor is a new innovation with better features and more reliability still there are some disadvantages like :
- Most of the softwares are made for 32-bit so in 64-bit operating system it becomes slow or do not work properly.
- The drivers to run the programs of 64-bit are not easily available.
- Although it increases graphic quality, but unavailability of drivers can make the 3D programs slower.
- Without 64-bit drivers, different devices like scanners, printers, graphic cards and sound cards can not be used.
- The computer would be unable to open all information at once if the amount of data is large.
- If you are looking to update your computer processor with 64-bit then you will have to upgrade or change your hardware too, otherwise most of the hardware will not be compatible.
- It supports minimum of 4GB of memory ; and if not so then you have to upgrade it, which is more expensive for some users.
- Programs made for the old versions of windows XP stop working on 64bit operating system.
- In web browsing apparently; if speed does not seems to increase because, it is because most of the browsers are not having 64-bit versions, because of flash which is still in 32-bit version.