Ports are very important part for a system as they work as interface between your system and other devices that you want to attach with your system. This piece of equipment is easy to found in all the systems as it allows you to plug other devices in it. When you connect a new device with help of any of the port then signals starts flowing through system to device and your device start working with your system, according to your commands. Mainly these ports are divided into two types, and then further subtypes are counted in its series. Two mail types of ports are male and female which are popularly known as serial and parallel ports. Female ports are most popularly used because bent pins are easier to replace on a cable than on a connector attached to a computer.
Types of computer ports:
With passage of time new technologies are incorporating with old one and they are bringing more and more users to avail chance of using best gifts of technology. Just like that new kinds of ports are also becoming popular with new devices. Some of famous and new ports are given as bellow
- PS/2 Ports are most simple and oldest type of ports, and are still working in market with systems. These are 6-pin, low-speed serial connection ports which are used with mouse and keyboards mostly. In system two ports of this kind are found, although they look similar but they are not interchangeable. It is important to be extremely careful to attach the keyboard and mouse to their respective PS/2 port.
- VGA Monitor Port is used to display Video Graphics Array in your system. This port uses an analog monitor which forward signals towards display adapter. All monitors and LCDs accept these signals, but some flat displays prefer to use digital signal interface. VGA resolution typically refers to the original resolution of 640×480 pixels and 16 colors, but it is not preferred to use for small monitors or displays.
- USB ports are popular now as they have replaced many old ports from systems now. They have take place of old printer hook-ups, and these port are also addition ways for transferring data and add accessories to a system. Flash drives are biggest examples for these ports, which are connected on these ports only. These ports are also helping Smartphone users, as they can now transfer data very easily from computer to their phones.
- Serial ports are designed to handle all processes of a system. This port consist 9 to 24 pins and are able to send data in range of more than 18 feet. Serial ports have ability to do one and two way data transmission with complete responsibility.
- Parallel ports consisted of 25 holes or pins and commonly connected the devices to system. Performance capability of these ports is much faster as compared to serial ports and other types of ports. These ports are built in mother board and consist of 25 wires, 8 of those wires are responsible to transfer data and control complete circuit.
- RJ45 Ethernet Port is famous to use for connecting your system with local area networks. It look like connector of telephone wire but it is little wider than that.
Besides these some famous types of port input, output, audio, video, network and many other types of ports use to attach to a system. All of them are famous to perform their functions accurately in a computer system. Users can easily use any of them according to type of hardware that he wants to connect to his personal computer.