In computer networking there are lot of technology which are used for communication purposes some are wired and some are wireless but nowadays still we have a lot of wired technologies such as Ethernet. A type local area networking technology which is based on a special type of cable which is used to transfer data from one place to another in the form of analog and digital signals, these cables are called as coaxial cables. They also carry signals of radio of different frequencies which also pays an important role in transferring the data between two operating systems or computers. This type of technology is termed as Ethernet
The maximum data transfer rate of this technology is 10 MB per seconds. the cables which are used to configure Ethernet are special; because they behave as analog and as well as digital and its speed is quite equal to twisted pair cable. Ethernet works or operates in a narrow range and it is little bit difficult to configure as compared to wireless networking technologies. Ethernet is very costly to install because to install the coaxial cables we need lot of money and time. So, nowadays its alternative technology i.e. peer to peer is used to reduce the expenses and also increase the reliability and networking. So point to point management is install instead of those costly cables everywhere.
Ethernet LAN Security:
As we know that every technology which serves the people with such a great networking but at the same time it has lot of weaknesses. Ethernet LAN has also faced some major security problems which effect its networking badly. It has to faced and overcome many security challenges to become a popular source of networking among the technologies of present era. Security weaknesses of Ethernet also destroy the Ethernet networking externally as well as internally. There are so many security problems which Ethernet has to faced and reduce them by using some precautionary measures, some major problems are as follows
- The major security problem of Ethernet is due to its feature that it is a broadcast system. Any information sent form one computer to another through Ethernet LAN, as we know that Ethernet LAN has different segments so, when the data is transferred it moves almost from all parts of cable and then moves towards the receiving computer. While moving from host towards receiver some sniffing programs used by the hackers can watch out your data and also use your networking password.
- As peer to peer technology has been adopted to reduce the expense on coaxial cables in Ethernet LAN but at the same time it provides an unsecured networking because it is based on sharing so when you share something with other computer in a workgroup different computer see your data and used it in a group. Etc
Other then these two problems Ethernet LAN security has too many problems but scientists also develop some solutions or precautionary measures to overcome the Ethernet LAN security problems. There are two major types of solutions which are used to prevent such security problems are hardware solutions and software solutions.
There hardware solutions which are used to stop or overcome the Ethernet LAN security problems basically of three types which are
- By using a switched network because by using a switch network is divided into different segments and through this we can prevent snooping or sniffing.
- By using different kinds of filters which are electronic in nature such as Bridges or Routers.
- Ethernet LAN can also be protected by using LAN security Architecture (LSA), it prevents your incoming messages.
Ethernet LAN security is also carried out by using some software solutions. These softwares can protect your data from hackers
- Data Encryption (this software encrypts the data and provides privacy to it).
- Authentication process: using user name or password to authenticate.
- Some technologies are also being into used which are the combination of above two technologies.