The shrinking world has multiplied the need of abridging gaps between destinations. It is not possible that one is possessor of all that he or she needs. Human beings are inter dependant during there stay on mother earth. No one is self-sufficient and we depend on each other to meet our day to day needs. Although the world of today is global village but all of us do not have a laptop or a smart phone of our own. Sometimes the portability of data from one point to another becomes a trouble for us.
Although, there are numerous means to carry one’s data but there are also limitations (or should I call it bolt from the blue) associated with these privileges. Sometimes you have to submit your assignment at school or college and you save your file on some floppy or USB, or write a CD (compact disc). At the eleventh hour you come to know that the transfer of the file from your medium to the destination is not successful or the other system is not recognizing your file or there is some virus that has swallowed your data. What will you do then? The same situation is faced by employees at their offices when they have to give presentations and reports. In such a situation you are left with no choice but either to move back to home or to just repent at the loss.
We are here to help you in sorting out such situations. We will guide you on Remote Access. This will resolve your issues of not only data sharing but also many more. It is very useful for not only your study and school but also for your entertainment that you access your computer over internet from a remote location. You can avail a number of technologies for the purpose which basically falls into two categories:
- Remotely controlling and accessing desktop;
- Remotely accessing files.
Initially you must have a clear idea of what a remote access is. File access allows you to reach at your computer’s desktop from a remote location by the virtue of internet. This remote control brings your complete desktop to the other remote location from where you are accessing it and enables you to work as if you are in your home and in right front of your personal computer. The remote access eliminates the need of file synchronization between laptops and desktops. It does not matter what is your purpose of getting one. You can establish remote access to facilitate yourself at your work place or educational institution or to allow other relevant people to admit in your data from their respective web enables locations.
In remote access a data link is used to communicate between a distant location and a data processing facility. VAN (virtually networking computing) is the most common technology to achieve this task. Remote access could be made through a PABX service that allows remote user to reach his or her desktop by the help of PABX feature, for example access to WATS (wide area telephone services). Remote access also point at a remote terminal, remote desktop or any kind of remote application such as remote browser. Authorization codes for individuals are typically required for remote access.
First question is of the remote desktop. The idea behind the remote desktop is to give you power to operate your personal computer from a distant spot by the help of an internet connected computer.
A remote access or routing run by a server provides two kinds of connectivity from distance:
- Dial up networking; and
- Virtual private networking
Dial up networking:
it is the remote access that comes in to action when the client (other computer) makes an impermanent connection for launching a physical port on a remote access server by some telecommunication service provider such as ISDN, analog phone or X.25. When you use dial up networking on ISDN or an analog phone than a direct connection is launched between dial up server and dial up networking client. The data sent over the connection is encrypt-able but it is not compulsory.
Virtual private networking:
It is the creation of a point to point and well guarded connection across a public or a private network like internet. Exclusive tunneling protocols (TCP/IP based protocols) are used in virtual private networking to make a virtual call on virtual port that is on a virtual private networking server. Unlike dial up networking, it is always an indirect but logical connection over some public network (internet) between the virtual private networking server and virtual private networking client. The data which you sent from such connection must be encrypted to ensure safety.
Before configuring and enabling the remote access or routing, we suggest you to keep the following points in your mind:
- It is not so easy to carry on the routing; one must be authorize to do so. You can do so if you are either belong to the administration group or a member of MMC (Microsoft Management Console). Moreover, you must belong to the group of administrators if you want to run most of the netsh ras commands from the command lien. The amount of administration members must not be huge, just necessary number of people to look after the server.
- Instead of logging in with the credentials of administration, it is more secured to use the RUN AS command to open remote access or routing. The provided user name must be of administration account and the password should only be given if asked.
- Your remote users (clients) should run certain operating systems like Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP and affiliated with the Windows Server 2003 family. There are two logics behind asking your users to have particular operating systems: all running systems will be powered with equal level of security strength in their user accounts and file systems; all remote access features will not be available on all running systems.
- Your remote user must be authenticated with exclusive secure authentication protocols like EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) and MS-CHAP v2 (Microsoft Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol version 2) instead of using protocols like CHAP (Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol), PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) and SPAP (Shiva Password Authentication Protocol).
- You must ensure that your remote user encrypts his or her data with the highest level of possible encryption.
- An easily guessable password could be the severest mistakes which a router can do. Do not forget to make your password tough by using upper and lower case, adding numerals and some specials characters.
- You can also use CMAK (Connection Manager Administration Kit) to increase the security of your remote access solution as it will enable you to create a customize connection for your clients. The customization will help you not only in troubleshooting but also in defining and controlling ways in which your user can connect to your network.
- It is also necessary that you must document your needs of remote access and also how you have configured your network to meet them.
Carefully review your network infrastructure before enabling the distant access function of remote access or routing. This will help you in meeting your needs of functionality and security in the best possible way. For remote access security is in three parts: use of safe authentication method; security of the server which will be used for routing and the security of that network traffic which moves to and fro between the server and the clients.
To configure the remote access server you have to go through following steps:
- Do not forget to read the properties of remote access server.
- You have to enable the remote access server.
- You are also responsible for creating a static IP address pool.
- You should also configure the AppleTalk remote access.
- Do not forget to enable the Multi-link.
- BACP and BAP should also be enabled.
- The broadcast name resolution should also be either enabled or disabled.
- You should also reproduce the default policy of remote access.
- Last but not the least does not forget to configure ports.
Well, there are also drawbacks of remote access but there benefits have overlapped the shortcomings. However we have included these limitations to enlighten you on the both sides of the story. When a remote connection allows you to contact to some other computer than the time lag is tiresome. There is no lag free control. It means that the usage of computer will be slower because each click and move of mouse goes through several intervening connections and it takes time. The slow speed of the connection will decrease the response. This drawback will be overcome in the times to come. We hope that this post encloses for you most crucial parts and parcel of remote access.