If you have bought a new hard disk for your windows vista computer even if you connect the hard drive properly with the motherboard as you do with other hard drives but when you start the computer it does not detect you hard disk. Got panic? What it is? Go into control panel in the settings and select add new hardware the system starts scanning but still nothing. Do not worry windows vista does not recognize new hard drives and you find problems in installing the window in it because all the new hard drives are unformatted it is not so difficult just follow the simple procedure.
How to Install hard drive
You got a new hard drive and want to use it as a secondary hard then after opening the computer search the jumper and set it according the hard drive.
- Fix the power supply on the back of the hard disk
- Attach the IDE ribbon it is grey wire type ribbon its one end will be connected to the first hard drive connect the other end with the second hard disk.
- Close the CPU and secure it with the screws. But before closing it check again if all the wires are connected right or not make it sure and then close.
- Power the computer on and then start configuring it.
- Remember that still the hard disk is new and is not initialized so the first step is to initialize the hard drive other wise the ordinary methods to detect the hard drive will not apply on it. Once if you initialize the system will detect it then format the hard drive then it will be ready to use.
- Now go to the control panel there will be an icon with a title Administrative tools this folders bears all the setting related to configuration the system and the hard disk now then click on computer management there is another icon with a name storage on it. it is your target but not now click on it and there is an option Disk management.
- Disk management has all the details about the hard drive or the hard disk and it will show all the hard drives which are installed in the system. You have to see the new hard drive which you have installed now
- Generally the new installed drive shown as the name with Disk 1 but under the disk 1 it is written that the hard drive is unknown and it would be UN initialized.
- Now right click on it than a pop up window will open click on the option initialize window and just a few seconds are required to initialize the hard dive now your hard drive has initialized.
- Now format the hard disk because you have to format it before using it.
- Formatting depends on the space of the hard drive if it is 250 it will take about half an hour in finishing the formatting
When the hard drive finished formatting my computer will appear and you can start using it
One must keep in mind following points during installing it
- The windows must have free of virus and bugs otherwise it will spoil the other hard drive too.
- The cables must be attached accurately and the jumper setting should be according the secondary storage drive.
- While closing the CPU fix it properly and do not forget to make it secure with four screws.
- Be careful in formatting the hard drive choose the correct the secondary.