How it Works?
The working of these TCP or IP protocols is based on their composition. These protocols consists of different layers which are present in their model and there working is completely depends upon the layer composition. In this composition, layers are present of three types such as link layer, internet layer, transport layer and application layer and these layers are responsible for their operations of data transferring from one device to another device. When the operating system assign the duty for TCP/IP to performing the data transferring task between two computers, then these two protocols divide the data into different fragments. Firstly internet protocol (IP) changes the data into data gram at lower level and then transfer it from this layer to upper higher layer where TCP deals the data transferring at higher or advanced level. After changing the data it will transfer to next computer.
Setting Up TCP/IP:
There are different steps or ways to configure the TCP/IP network on the operating system. The ways are different for different operating system like Win 98, Win 2000 or Win XP etc, these all have different steps. The main postulates of configuration are as follows
- First of all install the operating system and then go to My Network Places; here you will see different icons like Dial up connections but click on Local Area connection and follow the menu.
- Select internet protocol from the properties of local area connection and then click the properties of TCP/IP and follow the menu appear.
- Select the radio button from the left of the menu of properties of TCP/IP from this you can get the IP automatically. At the bottom of the same window should check DNS server address also and then press the advanced button at the bottom of same window for moving towards advanced settings of TCP/IP.
- When the new window opens click DNS button to configure DNS suffix and then check the WINS address by clicking the WINS tab if it has been filled already then proceeds towards next window but if is not filled then press the Add button and follow the instructions.
- When you confirmed that the WINS menu has been filled then click Ok to close the window of TCP/IP Advanced settings you will return to the previous menu of Internet Protocol then again press the OK button at the bottom to save the changes.
- Press the Ok button also in the window of Local Area connection to save the changes. Now your computer is ready to work with TCP/IP.