Lotus notes as exchange servers are considered to e the best example of the communication softwares that are available in the present times. they provide us with the additional and excellent communication components such as email exchange lotus notes was just a simple communication software before collaboration with the microsoft exchange servers. but when it got merged up it appeared as a one of the most effective exchange servers which is able to manage not only email exchange service but also calendaring, file saving operations and other text management functions. Lotus notes itself is client product but s exchange server its full fledged communication software plus server. As a communication software and exchange serve lotus notes is meant to be used in the enterprises and large organizations only.
As an exchange server lotus notes is a product to the end user. It has many features that can make it good o consider.
- It doesn’t need any customization for every module.
- It includes all the standards which are required for managing tasks and contacts.
- It also has the capacity to work equally on mobiles with web support functions.
- Provides high data storage space.
- The latest 2010 version of lotus exchange server also has the updated feature of active synchronization exchange. It’s an application program that facilitates users to configure and customize their desktops wit their phone or portable computers.
- Web based support for all modules and sub applications
- Communication feature with the external organizations.
- Sharing of information and message outside the organizations.
- The recent version also has the ability to integrate the voice based email messages with the help of Microsoft Outlook. Web based components.
- It also the multiple users to communicate and share the important information simultaneously without affecting the speed and density of other back end process.
- Individual lotus notes is totally customizable but when integrated with Microsoft exchange server it became none customizable for every user.
- One o the disadvantage of the lotus note exchange server is that it has only built in function no external functionality can communicate or work with but when lotus notes is considered as individual its dynamic in functionalities.
- One program to mange up the calendars and date stuff is not built in because it has to be updated globally, this is done with the help of goggle calendars and notes calendars applications.
- Social networking activities are focused in this version of lotus notes exchange server. Such as forums, blog writing, link building, book marks etc.
- Instant messaging is another interesting features that you ca now experience in the latest version of exchange server for example you must have seen the instant messengers on the web yahoo mail you can chat and mail at the same time Without separately signing in you messengers.
- Lotus notes exchange serve has the main disadvantages that it is not applicable in the small organizations it design is only for the large business symbols.
- Its cost a lot to manage the lotus notes exchange servers
- Still it has the limitation at the client server ends.
- Server breakdowns can affect the entire functionality.
- Collective community work failure in the situation of main server failure
- Email service failure can hang up the bulk of information in the way to the receiver which results in late delivery or no message received message.
- Voice based emails are sometimes distorted or interrupted during transfer.
- Lotus notes exchange server still nee a improvement to become competitive with the other exchange server available.