Network Print Server
Network prink server is a one of the computer peripheral device which is also known as printer server .this device works in the computer network for printing all types of documents. It is connected to all the computers of the network with the help of networking topology. It has the ability to accept the printing commands and can respond back to the client computer. It name is specified as print server because it controls and coordinate the printing activities.
How network print server works
Printer server acts as a fully networked host computer with tow or more attached printers to it for performing the different printing activities. It woks by implementing the networking protocol for instance line Printer Daemon protocol or the protocols designed by the Microsoft fro printing purposes .it works similar to the computer networks but its functioning is quite limited or restricted to the printing tasks as compared to the other networks. Most commonly RJ-45 sockets with the help of wifi connection or one or more than one printing port is used. But the combination of the ports DB9 and DB25is used along with the serial, parallel and USB connectors. When print request is made by the client network print server first converts it into the printer acceptable form and then executes the task assigned by the client. Its functionality can be integrated with the other devices for example firewall, routers and bridges.
Dedicated printer servers
Network printer server is the device that has all the features of dedicated servers it often supports the several printing protocols such as TCP, ,NBF, TCP/IP, port 9100 over the dedicated lines. These servers are quite easy to maintain and considered as most simple in the configuration.
- Printer servers have increased the printing capabilities and speed for performing the printing jobs.
- Shared printing resources can be used with the help of printer servers.
- Multi execution of printing task assigned by the different network clients.
- Time savage due to the fast execution of tasks.
- Reliable when compatible with the connectors and communication protocols.
There are also some disadvantages of the network printer servers. Some of the major ones are listed below.
- Network printer server failure can disturb printing jobs for all the clients.
- Task limitation. Task limitation is another disadvantages of the printer servers .They are only limited to the printing tasks and handle printing requests from all the clients.
- Every individual client need to be fully connected with the printer servers and configurations on each client system is necessary in order to utilize the print functions.
- Printer servers are not all the time compatible with the all the connectors match should be there for proper coordination
- Manufacturers of the network print servers make plate form dependent printer servers with certain specifications for integration and configuration.
- Communication protocol implementation printers’ servers are not always able to implement all types of communication protocols. Each printer server has different communication protocol and architecture support and it only supports those structures for communication.
- Printer servers are efficient but sometime prompt the match port or signal breakage error which means hurdle in the wifi networking signaling or some breakage is present in the way of command request. This stops all the printing tasks.
Printer servers are used in the many organizations. There are some restrictions otherwise these devices are quite useful. Additional feature and flexible architecture can be installed along with the existing printing capacities. This could make the printer servers more attractive for its users.