System Administration Tips:
To keep the words in black and white is now old dated. Today’s offices are equip with latest computers or laptops that have not only made the work easy but also reduced the bulk of files one has to carry from office to home and vice versa. In offices all computers are usually inter-linked and common share keeps the record of files being exchanged among the officials. Any problem in the network of these computers can not only block the sharing of significant confidential files but also their uploading or/and downloading. It is a time when no one can bear the loss of time so it is suggested that all companies must manage to keep themselves and their equipments up to date to avoid any unwanted situation.
Almost all organization and institutions that have computers also have network administrators to keep the work smooth. The most responsible task is to administer a network because if the troubleshooting of some network problem is delayed it can cause huge troubles in office work and anxiety among the workers. A network administrator must be acquainted with basic network technologies like directory services, cabling system, Ethernet, basic network hardware and software, TCP/IP and some basic techniques regarding the troubleshooting of network. A network administrator must have basic know how of keeping his or her network secure, must aware of basic troubleshooting guide, security measures, the management tools and prime tips to troubleshoot the network.
We have put here some basic tips which can make you a successful network administrator. Kindly read and remember to make your job more easy and efficient.
- Many people do not bother about using illegal or pirated software. Being cheap and easily available, these software no doubt facilitate the users but their efficiency is obviously not lasting. After some times, the computer starts tomes up things and asking users to change or upgrade the program. It seldom affects the data within the computers. So we suggest you to make original CDs your first priority in installing the operating system because they will keep the system working for a longer time and thus keeps your client satisfied. Do not forget to install some latest anti virus program because it saves the system from the attacks of intruders. You can select any antivirus program among Norton Antivirus, McAfee, Panda Antivirus and Trend Micro.
- You must have strong grip on sub-netting, bit-masks and gateways. Train yourself to think in terms of binary. You must also be aware of how address, for example network portion, the host portion, etc, are constructed.
- You must also go through the implementation of hosts on network stack. You must be also well aware of the responsibilities of significant components like device drivers, firmware, the OS, the NIC, etc.). If you just learn all this once by heart than
troubleshooting will be no more an issue.
- You must also know the difference between broadcast and collision domain, and read VLANs. You should also be acquainted with the functions of Spanning Tree Protocol and must understand what is bridging.
- Knowing about the routing protocol can also be very helpful. There is no need to be an expert of routing but you at least have a general idea. You can start from RIP.
- You must also have knowledge about the DHCP and DNS and WINS and their substitutes for example static addressing, lmhost and host.
- There is no need to install unnecessary applications or software. Just keep the applications on your network to the point. A variety of viruses and malicious codes can attack your computer in case you have used some uncertified software or a web based application.
- After installing the operating system never forget to properly check the speed, security and performance of your system to resolve nay existing problem on the spot.
- It is advised that you must keep the design of network as simple as possible because keeping it simple avoids many complexities. Moreover, do not forget to manage your network in segments to limit the affects of any out of order section from affecting adjacent systems. A network in segments easily cuts off from the troubling part and can go on as usually.
- Keeping up a system or network updates is as important as installing it because delayed up-gradation can affect the performance of the system. Keep in mind that you must up date latest anti virus definitions and other measures along with software patches.
- Do not forget to purchase a well planned hardware and to keep the documented record of hardware and software inventory, basic network configuration, computers and log on script in your network.
- Keep complete back up of data of your serve. Try to manage the network resources in a manner which the performance of the server does not get affected by the approach of multi-systems to the server simultaneously.
- Do remember to place resources close to the system user, and to classify IP address, create user material and enclosed user accounts.
- Many times a sound network gets corrupted by the negligence of some user. It is very crucial that you must describe some basic features to the users so they can sort minor problem on the spot by self help. User awareness will also relieve you. Warn the IT staff and the network users to refrain from doing any unauthorized activity on the system.
- It will be also very helpful if your keep monitoring the access to internet. You should also block all unwanted applications based on web and ports. Moreover, you must also maintain strict control over the use of uncertified use of the internet.
- Must remember that gateways are directly disclosed to the internet and extremely vulnerable to the attacks. Keep your proxy server or your computer gateway as secure as possible
- Do not forget to mirror your hard disk.
- Being a good network administrator you must make the structure of your network.
- Do not limit yourself with the existing knowledge of computers and networks as there is improvement by each day. Keep yourself updated about all new and upcoming trends. Try to use these new trends and technologies on your network from time to time.
- Keep the basic tips of troubleshooting on your fingertips to save time.
- If you have to set up a network for an organization do not forget to make a well researched plan before installing the network.
- Being a responsible administrator it is your duty to keep back up utility, recovery software, up to date program of anti virus, cable connectors, cable cutters, cable testers and other troubleshooting and network security apparatus in your resource kit.
- You must be aware of latest networking certificates and networking knowledge, for example CCNP, CCNA, MCSE, Server+ and Network+. Sharing your knowledge with other network administrators will help you in improving your ideas and strengthening your knowledge. You can also correct yourself by giving answers to online questions about networking problems.
- You should also set as complex the password of your network as possible. Try to keep and train an assistant network administrator. Network security tool such as LanGuard, GFI must be kept up to dated so any external or internal attack on the security of your network can be tackled in the mean time.
- Server room must be a restricted area where only certified staff can enter. Do not forget to take back your critical data on other hard disks and regularly backing up your data on CDs. Always keep some attendant in the server room to keep an eye on the entering officers.
- It will be best for you if you can get some strong reference source online. For interpreting profound acronyms www.whatis.com could be best.
We have tried our level best to help you out in sorting out all issues related to the administration of a network. The world has changes so much. It is no more the era of post and there is no place for mistakes, mistakes are only once permitted after that chance they result in drastic decision. A network administrator is the key person in any organization and is responsible for not only what he or she does but also for the work of all those persons and systems that come under his network. It is very difficult to keep up one’s job in the time of recession so the best way to keep your boss or employer content is to give least excuses. Despite of keeping back up or record of data on your network, you should also have back up plans in case of emergency.
We hope that this post will help you in guiding and devising a way into your carrier as a network administrator. We wish you best of luck for your job.