VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It allows interconnection of multiple network sites. It gives you controlled access between different corporate networks. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection, permit you firmly attach to a remote network. The aim of VPN is to give a secure method for user data over the un protected internet connection. A VPN apply data encryption and other security methods to avoid unauthorized users from accessing data.
VPN has set up safe, encrypted connections between mobile phones or remote users. It is mostly used by the companies, who want to share their data among various branches and completely want their data to be confidential. Intranet VPNs provide full access to company’s network.
Basic VPN Security Requirements
- User Authentication: VPN must validate the user authentication so only authenticated user can use access to the internet.
- Address Management: Allocate some address to each user and keep that address private.
- Data Encryption: To secure the data always encrypt the data first and then decrypt it.
- Key Management: Allow keys for encryption of the data.
- Multi-protocol Support: VPN must support some standard protocols
Types of VPN
- Remote Access VPN: It allows you to access the domestic corporate in excess of the internet. Remote access is the example of dial up connection or for a mobile worker.
- Site-to-Site VPN: It combines multiple branches over internet and decreases dependencies.
- Extranet VPN: It allows business partners to share some critical information
- Client/Server VPN: It defend perceptive internal communications
Some Common Uses of VPN
It gives users with protected remote access over the Internet and connects two or more than two computers securely over the internet, e.g. we can connect one branch office with Head office by providing them secure data. It deals with telecommuters and mobile sales people.
VPNs are inexpensive they provide mobile user with low call rates. It also enhanced the Security system over internet with minimal cost factor. It also provides the chances of sharing secure data among multiple branches of the same company. VPNs have also increased use of private IP addresses.
It is very Time Consuming to Setup the VPN security system. And if any problem occur during the installation then it is very hard to over come that problem. As the internet traffic is unpredictable so it is hard to control all the traffic correctly and efficiently.
VPN technology is improving rapidly and guaranteed a bright future for data communication, it provides low cost, and high income on investment. VPN’s are normally used in protecting wireless remote access for telecommuters so they can converse with their corporate branches.