Using your mobile devices as wifi router is very common these days. Your Android mobile device has all the capabilities to work as the hotspot and provide wireless internet to nearby devices. In case, if you are searching for mobile hotspot wifi for android phones tutorial, you are in luck. Because this post is going to explain you exactly that.
Note: Minimum Android version requirement to support tethering ( wifi hotspot ) is 4.03.
Warning: Using mobile as the hotspot will not be free and using mobile internet on other devices may incur additional cost, so do speak to the mobile company customer support before configuring your mobile.
Here are few simple steps to follow to configure your mobile phone to work as the mobile hotspot or work just as the wireless router.
- First look for Settings button on your Android phone.
- In settings, you will see ‘connection’ tab. Refer to the image below, I am using Android version 5.1.1 in Note 5, older and latest android versions may have slightly different menu options. But tabs will remain same.
- Once you are in settings, look for Mobile HotSpot and Tethering option. As I have mentioned earlier, this screenshot is from 5.1.1 version of android, if you have different version, the menu may be different but the tabs will be same and it will only be available under settings button.
- Once you tab on Mobile Hotspot and Tethering option, you will be redirected to the window where you need to turn Mobile Hotspot and Tethering option on. Refer to the image below.
- Turn the option on and you will be directed to the following windows.
- This the step where you will configure your mobile hotspot. When it is configured it can be used any time in future. In this step, you need to click on option ‘MORE’ in 5.1.1 version case, or you may also find the option like ‘settings’ in different Android versions. Click on the MORE/Setting.
- This is the step where you define password for your hotspot wifi. Don’t use ‘easy to guess passwords’ for example 12345678, or abcdefg etc. Define password that is tough to guess so unauthorized access can be limited. By default network name (SSID) will be the name of your phone. If you wish to update it you can. If you do not wish to broadcast your network and restrict intruders you can keep hide my device unchecked.
Final Step: After defining password click save option. You will notice icon of tethering enabled on top bar of your phone. It means no you are good to go. Scan for network name in the device you wish to connect, you will see network name with your phone name, click on it and enter password.
Now Enjoy the web browsing.
Warning: Mobile internet using tethering can incur extra charges in your mobile bills. Using mobile hotspot will eat up your phone battery as well.
I will soon write a post on how to use mobile hotspot using IOS devices.