Definition: A green data center is like a storage area for the storage, management, and dissemination of data in which the mechanical, lighting, electrical and computer systems are designed for minimum energy efficiency and minimum environmental impact.
Green data centre is power entirely through renewable wind energy. In green data center the use of energy or electrical power is nearly 40% less then other data centers. Because of lesser use of energy green data centers are helping the environment to be safer for humans. This lesser use of energy is not only making the environment clean but with that its helping us to save the cost that customers have to pay for the use of these centers. In the construction and operation of a green data center different advanced technologies and strategies use to work like use of alternative energy technologies, use of hybrid company vehicles, waste recycling etc.
Some Trends That Green Data Centers are following: In recent time most of the companies are looking at how they can make their data centers green. For this purpose they are following some trends like
- Continued emphasis on efficiency –with a twist: companies want to save their money with the help of green data centers. And there is no doubt about this that these data centers are really efficient in doing so for them in long run. But in recent times the focus of companies is more on comprehensive business objects rather than power usage effectiveness. Cost saving work much better when power saving is incorporated with business processes
- Improving business flow through virtualization and cloud computing: Improvements in visualization and cloud computing is helping the green data centers to meet their needs. Many companies are now outsourcing their different applications so that no problem arises in their budget and environment as well.
- Modularity: green data center developers are learning that how they can chose a modular approach and can add individual applications and components at the time of need. This option is helping these centers to decrease the cost and increase the flexibility.
- Innovative design and design integration: green data centers are introducing innovative, cost effective and flexible solution for customers because of whom now they can run more efficiently and smoothly.
How to Develop a Green Data Center: Some people think that adopting a green data center is very expensive process. But it must be considered here that these data centers help the business in long run by saving the energy cost. For the development of greener data center, some steps have to be followed.
- Evaluate your energy efficiency: for this purpose the business has to add up all of its energy bills and has to keep eye on the distribution of energy in company. They have to prepare a complete map so that use of energy can be reduced efficiently and this first step in cost reduction could be taken.
- Redesign your cooling system: for this the company has to enclose all of its servers in one place so that cooling system can be installed on that specific area with more concentration.
- Reconsider your redundancy: the practice of removing the use of reluctant cooling and heating systems help companies in reducing the cost of electric power. As reluctant systems uses two circuits instead of one so the cost is always double there. Companies can cut down their redundancy so that they can operate on the basis of current needs instead of future.
- Use adjustable equipment: use of scalable and module systems always help in green data centers. These systems use more power in smaller space but at the same time they require lesser power to cool the systems.
- Visualize your storage: many servers hold applications or data that is not of use in daily life. So companies have to keep eye on the storage of these kinds of files. Virtualization devices can help companies to keep this kind of track.
- Donate or recycle legacy servers: old servers are less efficient in performance than the new ones. So companies have to change their servers time to time so that money and environment can be protected. These servers contain toxic acid so it’s harmful to destroy them by yourself. For the purpose of destroying those servers can be given to those firms who are professionals of doing this work or you can donate them to non profit organizations and institutes.