Colocation hosting is a term about which most people don’t know or even they never heard about this term. As the name colocation itself tells about the basic idea that it has something to do with hosting technique, which means locating the server according the colocation of service provider. For the purpose of colocation hosting, the hosting company selects the hardware configuration of the server that they want, and then appropriate software that goes with hardware.
The main purpose of involving the hosting company in colocation hosting is to maintain connectivity of internet, handle all the power issues, fire control and air conditioning etc. the client of colocation hosting handles all the maintenance of his server. Colocation hosting provides an edge of working to small businesses as is enjoyed but big IT businesses. But at the same time the cost does not go up for adopting this kind of hosting method because small businesses are not maintaining their own IT departments.
In colocation hosting ,business get the benefit of provider’s bandwidth and use it as part of hosting. For this kind of hosting charges would be higher than standard web hosting. But somehow the benefit of additional bandwidth uses to cover the burden of additional charges. To reduce the expenses of hosting by businesses this method provide ease now.
Features Should Be Considered While Choosing Colocation Hosting:
While selecting colocation as hosting method for your business you must consider that the hosting company is providing you with reliability and uptime, technical support like phone, email, supporting timing etc, server and network speed based on equipments which will be used and internet connection that would be provided.
With these features some services are always provided to the businesses by hosting server. These services include connectivity to worlds IP carriers, customized locked cabinets for servers, remote handling service, all the time security access and bulk of discounts by service provider.
Advantages of Using Colocation Hosting:
- Biggest advantage provided by colocation hosting is reduced cost for the use of bandwidth.
- High performance that is provided by this system.
- This hosting method provides with the benefit of security and assures us that server is stored in a secure environment.
- There is always an ease about up gradation of hardware’s when it is felt that server is working too slowly or there is not enough memory to store more information. This all work can be done by the user itself, provider would not be needed to do this all.
- With some hardware’s the user always have some software’s and can install them on the system when needed. For that as well the provider does not have to come and do that for us.
- If the user is moving somewhere then he can also shift his server at the new location but with that he can run the same domain on two locations, new one and the old one. For using two servers at a time he does not have to pay double line rents.
- In case of worst weather conditions as well the colocation hosting severs always provide you with availability. This use to be achieved with the help of backup generators.
Disadvantages of Using Colocation Hosting:
- It is always difficult to find good colocation providers near to your business. If your colocation hosting service provider is away form your business then for maintain or any emergency you have to wait for hours.
- Colocation is little expensive then any other basic web hosting technique. This additional cost is actually for the upgraded hardware’s and software’s which business has to bear each time when server would be upgraded.
- If you change the location, and new location is not in the range of your colocation provider then there is a problem. Because in this situation either you have to shift you server to a new provider or have to leave everything there and purchase a new one.
- Fluctuating prices are another disadvantage of colocation.