Switched mesh is the technique that is used to connect the nodes of the same or different networks for the formation of network mesh and for the transmission of the data.
We can say the switched mesh is the wireless network that makes used of multiple communication devices such as radio for communicating with the neighboring nodes.
How switched mesh works?
Switched mesh network deals with the different kinds of bandwidths each with the separate data transmission capabilities. It handles each dedicated link as the separate transmission channel. The transmission of neighboring node is nit interrupted .but the total band width acting is the sum of the available band width of the neighboring nodes the network is connected by using the wireless technology supported by the switched mesh. The major advantage of the switched mesh network is that it supports the separate access point with different bandwidth even and also deal with the multiple backup point for improving the transmission. It also has the ability for increasing the capacity of the nodes that can be added for the enlargement of network.
Advantages of Switched Mesh Network:
There are many advantages that switched mesh network offers. Some of them are listed below
- Switched mesh works on as single node no multiple nodes are required for the communication.
- It has the capability to self heal itself. When come kind of interruption appears it automatically treats the failure.
- No communication or nodes failures are observed in switched mesh networks
- It also supports the single hopping that is compulsory in al wireless connections.
- Eliminates the wired mesh by having wireless technology.
- Also supports low frequency bandwidth unlike other networks and also provide continuous wavelength without over head.
- Switched mesh has dynamic and static traffic routing that is another attractive factor.
- Switched mesh technology doesn’t require any costly additional hardware. It works efficiently with the existing hardware for the other networks.
- Provide much higher transfer rate than those of ordinary wireless networks.
- Switched mesh when configured wit centralized server also supports and handle the routers and gateways of the network. Hence performs the role of controller.
- Additional nodes can be added to the network when required ,no specific limit for the nodes
- Band width can be increased and decreased variantly by increasing and decreasing nodes form the network.
- Also allow the traffic to consume the bandwidth of the channels according to the data.
- Also facilitates the users with the direct IP routing instead of creating another interface.
- Switched mesh also supports the remote access with various nodes.
- Facilitate its users with high performance
Disadvantages of the Switched Mesh:
- One of the major disadvantages is that it provides the single access point for every channel which makes it simpler but at the same time when that access point is disordered then no other access point can be used to access that point. Entire network would require reconfiguration in that situation.
- When there is fall in the signals with the wireless technology the entire network is badly influenced.
- Presence of multiple nodes makes the network noticeably complex and difficult.
- Hardware failure directly affects the communication in all senses.
- Does not require costly hardware, but requires high logical circuits.
- High chance of logical errors.
Networks engineers have discovered that switched mesh networks are quite useful in the world of wireless networks. But regulations and developments are required to over come the negative points of the switched mesh technology. In future we would be seeing the enhanced structures of switched mesh networks.