Nanotechnology has a significant impact and it literally evolved a technological world as we know it today. It has
impressive applications in almost every area whether it is medical science, robotics, manufacturing etc.
Having said that, it also has some major disadvantages and limitations that cannot be neglected. Since Nanotech has its role to play in most of the industries, we have seen its diversified limitations in all the industries.
Here are some of the potential disadvantages of Nanotechnology that you should be aware of.
Disadvantages of Nanotechnology
- One of the biggest disadvantages that the world is facing because of nanotechnology is the lack of employment in the fields of traditional farming, manufacturing, and industrial sector and that is because of the vast development of the nanotechnology. Nanotech devices and machines have taken place of humans to work faster and efficiently, which has lessened the importance of men power in the field of practical work.
- Increasing development and instant performance have also increased the fall of certain commodities like diamond and oil. The presence of alternative( Nanotech ) has decreased the demand because alternates are more efficient and do not require the use of fossil fuels.
Diamonds have lost its value because it is now mass produced with the help of nanotechnology. A manufacturer can now produce the bulk of these products at molecular scale and decomposition is done to create new components.
- Another big threat, which is born with the advent of nanotechnology, is the easy accessibility of atomic weapons. Nanotechnology has made these weapons more powerful and more destructive.
Unauthorized, criminal bodies can reach nuclear weapons easily, and its formulation could be stolen.
- Nanotechnology has increased the chance of the health issues. Due to microscopic size of nanoparticles, it increases the risk of inhalation that can severely damage lungs and could also lead to fatal health issues. It increases the risk of damaging the lungs if nanoparticles are inhaled for 60 seconds.
- At present nanotechnology is on the most expensive technologies and its cost is increasing day by day. The main reason for not being cost efficient is the molecular structure and processing of the product. It is difficult for the manufacturers to randomly produce dynamic products using nanotechnology. Huge pricing of nanotech machines makes it unaffordable currently.
- Nanotechnology comes with financial risks also, manufacturers have to invest huge money for starting nanotech plants and if produced products fail to satisfy the customer then manufacturer bear a lot of loss. The original product cannot be recovered because it will cost twice as much. Maintenance cost of the product is also very high.
- Nanotechnology also raised some practical commercial problems. Practical problems can include everything which is to be produced from masses like coal, petroleum. Nanotechnology does not leave single nanoparticle unused which crashed the small industries of sub-products of the massive materials, this is the main reason for low quantity of sub-products of coal and petroleum in the market.
- There are some ethical issues which include the poisoning of mass material which has been processed at a nanoscale. It may leave negative impacts on the health and industry. Mass poisoning could happen only if the coatings on the products that nanotechnology has to produce include poisonous microparticles that can penetrate into the brain when it comes in contact with humans.
- While nanotechnology can help produce all kinds of goods and improved products, but the particles that are created are so small that they may cause eventual health problems in the bodies of consumers.
- Nanotechnology has raised the standard of living but at the same time, it has increased the pollution in water and air. The pollution caused by nanotechnology is known as Nano Pollution. Such kind of pollution is very dangerous for living organisms under water & on earth.